- Curriculum: Art | Art Criticism | Language Arts
- Age/Grade: Elementary 2 | Elementary 3 | Middle School | Above 14
- Subject: Drawing | Writing | Analysis and Theory
- Materials: Pencils
- Institution: PS 11 in Chelsea The WMT Harris School
- Location: New York, New York
- Duration: 1 Class
Looking and drawing merge in this lesson to help students understand and appreciate Keith Haring's work. As an extension to this project, these NYC school children decorated bags containing holiday gifts for local charities.
To introduce students to Keith Haring.
To help students synthesize visual information.
To allow students to draw from observation.
We are currently focusing on the work and life of Keith Haring. In this particular project, I created a ditto for students to fill out. I left a large square for students to draw from observation and included several lines for them to interpret the work.
We are also promoting AIDS awareness and community responsibility by working with God's Love We Deliver to decorate bags for the holidays.